Current and future engineers: A socioeconomic profile

Aviseo was commissioned by the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec to complete a study that examined what the engineering profession would look like by 2030. The purpose of this study was to analyze the current state of the profession and the trends and needs that would influence its development. The profession came through the 2020 pandemic quite well, but labour shortages need to be addressed, and university research and training must be tailored to the needs of the labour market. An Aviseo survey of 3,206 OIQ members found that artificial intelligence, the energy transition, and climate change will have the greatest impacts on the profession.

Key figures

  • There was a 22% increase in engineering professionals (+15,000) between 2006 and 2016.
  • Women represent 15% of Quebec’s engineers. The OIQ is aiming to reach 30% by 2030.
  • Immigrants represent 24% of professional engineers, yet represent 12% of the total population.
  • The average salary for an engineer is double the average for all Quebecers. This major gap is similar in the rest of Canada.
  • In the next 10 years, 12% of engineers plan to start a business, while 10% say they are already entrepreneurs. This combined rate of 22% is slightly higher than the Quebec average of 20%.
  • 64% of engineers rate continuing education as adequate, while 30% feel that it is too much or too demanding.
  • The private sector is attractive to 38% of current engineering students, whereas the public sector is attractive to 12%, while the rest have no preference. Of all current students, 46% plan to choose their work area based on the quality of life it will provide them.
  • According to 61% of respondents, change management is a skill that will become more important by 2030.

Media mentions of the study:

Please note this publication is only issued in French.