The Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec commissioned Aviseo Conseil to profile the engineering entrepreneur and his contribution to Quebec’s prosperity. The study characterizes the entrepreneur-engineer, identifies the challenges he faces and assesses the trends that will shape his business environment over the next decade. A comparative analysis of Quebec’s entrepreneurial ecosystem in relation to that of successful jurisdictions is also offered, in order to target strengths and identify opportunities for improvement.
- 15% of engineers run their own business
- 64% of engineering entrepreneurs started their business before the age of 40
- 77% of engineering entrepreneurs say the main reason for starting a business is to become their own boss
- 29% of engineers’ entrepreneurs own businesses in consulting engineering services, 17% in construction and 14% in manufacturing
- 8.1% of these businesses have at least one patent, which is significantly higher than the rate for Canadian firms with 500 or fewer employees (1.7%)
- 5.1% of engineers’ businesses have registered rights to at least one industrial design, which is significantly higher than the rate for Canadian firms with 500 or fewer employees (0.9%)
Media mentions of the study :